Friday, March 17, 2006

OK so I have a LiveJournal (No, random creepy people that I don't know are not allowed to have the URL. Sorry, deal with it). Its personal, and not an entirely appropriate space for me to place my writing insights, nitwitiness, and absolute stupidity.

I will absolutely NOT post chapters of the manuscripts here. Sorry fans - if you want to know what's in the book, visit my website for sample chapters, or buy the book (when it's out. Of course that depends on me getting it published, which depends on me finding a publisher, which depends on me finding an agent, which really means that I have no fans).

I will, however, post rants (As if you cared), Rejection letters (Because seriously, to a good writer, those things are like gold, and each one is a treasure of information, even the form ones. More on this later), websites that actually are helpful, and other information I come across that has to do with the process of getting a book written, published, and making sales.

And so, here is my first post. More to follow. Have fun, and feel free to toss the occasional disgusting tomato at me because I have something wrong, or I have something right and you think you are smart enough to disagree.

Oh, before I go, I am going to post my expectations of the publishing industry - in case an agent or editor happens upon my blog - I don't want to look a fool. (Of course, that won't happen, because agents and editors are far too damn busy to do things like surf blogs looking for unpublished wanna-be writers).

1. Rejection isn't personal - its a business decision based on the merits of my work. If anything, my work isn't good enough (yet) to be for them.
2. Reading is subjective! An agent will rep what she likes, because that agent needs to be excited and into the book to be able to sell it to a house.
3. EVERY STEP OF PUBLISHING TAKES A LONG, LONG TIME. Writing is not get rich quick. It's not get-your-book-on-shelf-quick. It takes a long time for your agent to read your manuscript and like it. Then it takes a long time to find an editor to like it. Then it takes a long time to get it printed, edited, proofread, etc etc.
4. As a sub part of number 3, it TAKES A LONG, LONG TIME TO MAKE MONEY. Yes, your advance is divided in to 3 payments (sometimes four) and that last payment isn't until that book is on the shelves. And then your royalties take another couple of years. But wait - REAL authors write because they love WRITING, not because they want to be rich. If you are a starving writer, get a bloody job. Write at night. That's what I do.
5. Market and publicize your own damn book - Don't expect the publishers to do it. You are the one who makes yourself successful, and the more self-promotion you do, the better off your book is.
6. It takes a LOT of people a LOT of hard work and many, many hours to get your book on the shelves. Don't be an egotistical ass, and don't yell at anyone (see numbers 3 and 4 as to why things aren't moving so fast). Send your sales staff some cookies, send your editor flowers (Provided its a female editor), and give your Agent a giant box of chocolates and a case of margaritas. Most of all, give them their dues in the acknowledgments of your novel.
7. Be Diligent, do your bloody research on A) your book (duh), B)Your agent (should be another duh), and C) the proper way to treat people.

There is more, but I will have to post those in later entries. These things are my expectations, and they are what I expect to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home