Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The No-TV time

I think the next 2 weeks will be an interesting study in the sociology of my own home family life. That's because our TV (which was broken by the guy who came out to fix another problem in the first place) is completely unwatchable, and won't be replaced for two weeks. While at first I was pissed off, I came to an understanding.

No - TV means quiet candle-lit dinners with my beautiful wife for 2 weeks. It means that I have much more time to write since I don't need to worry about missing any of my can't-stop-watching shows. My DVR will record anything I am missing. It means that we can listen to romantic music, and just be together.

Unfortunately my wife's computer also died, so I need to find a way to pay for a new one so she has something to do since the TV is out of commission while I write.

Segue -

I have discovered something I didn't know: Editing is a buttload more difficult and time consuming than writing is. I spent three solid hours the other night editting, and I only got through six pages (Six pages that I know I will need to revisit at least two more times anyway). I keep trying to avoid editting the rest of the book, and instead want to start on the next one, but I can't. I really need to finish the editting first, so that those fans who are just dying to read it can do so. By fans I mean my family and friends.

So tonight, I am going to try to do some more editting. I have to watch that I don't sit there and fiddle with a paragraph for 30 minutes straight. To me editting is a multi-layered process. First layer is re-write the inconsistant scenes. The second is to copy edit and make sure it's readable. The third is to change the wording so its written well (best word for the spot and all that). I find that as I read the work though, I am doing all three stages at the same time, and that accounts for my slow progress.

Six pages in three hours, when I have 160 pages in total (single spaced) is incredibly slow. However, now that I think about it, when writing the novel, it was 4000 words a night on average, which is about 4 pages. So maybe it wont be so bad :P

*sighs* It's going to be a while before I start handing this out to editors/agents. I want it to be polished as well as I can polish it before it's in front of their professional eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home