Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Editing

I am having a fairly hard go at editing this novel. At first I thought, maybe it's because I need to step away from it, give it time to breathe, though then I realized that was just a cop out to hide the manuscript under the table and not ever finish editing it because hey, editing is way more boring than actually writing. Especially when my new novel - Demon - is so damn exciting.

So, does anyone (If there is actually anyone who reads this blog) have any advice about editing? Does anyone have any tips to make it more enjoyable? I realize that I am betraying my supreme lack of self-discipline in the editing department, but hey, what can I say - pumping out the stories that have been sitting in my head for the past 4 months is a stronger calling. Plus I am unpublished, with no fan base and no deadlines, so I can afford to take my time.

However this won't always be the case, so I am trying to prepare myself for when there are deadlines in the future. My day job has prepped me for business, and for deadlines, two things I am extremely familiar with. But not for deadlines with creative sides (programming is far from what I would call 'artistic' or 'creative').

In any case, I am looking for advice, tidbits, experiences - whatever. Give me knowledge people, and I will promise to sign you a copy of the book, if it ever becomes part of the world of the 'published'.

2 Comments:

Blogger barista brat said...

i find it best to let the work sit for at least a month before starting the editing process. you should continue working on the new WIP, and just forget about the finished one for a while.
it makes the editing process more fun because once you've had time away, you can enjoy how the story unfolds, even though you're actually revising.

12:14 PM  
Blogger DanStrohschein said...

I am starting to really see the value of putting some distance there. It's been a while since I read the first page, and as I did today, I noticed even more errors. As much as I am impatient about finishing this one, I honestly think that I need to let it sit a good while before I come back to it. At least at the moment, I am not really doing wording changes, but I am doing rewrites of the parts of the book that went off in the wrong direction.

Thank you for your advice! I didn't think anyone actually read this :)

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home