Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Have you ever seen English?

Have you ever seen the original written version of the English language? It's very interesting, in fact the entire history of our language is (at least to me). Just thought I would put that out there - go and check it out if you are ever curious.

In the meantime, my beta reader has finished Afterlife and reported that she enjoyed it all entirely. She has given me 4 months to complete the next novel in the series :P I am very fired up about starting on the next one in the series (already have some of the first opening scenes in my head), but I also have more progress to make on Demon. Demon, to me, is my 'in between' project that I work on between each Afterlife novel. This means that it will take forever to get to the finished status, but that's ok. By then I will end up having five novels completed - half a million words. So what I am going to do is outline Afterlife book 2 today and outline the rest of Demon, that way I don't get lost while I am writing them.

Fun! I won't post the outlines here, because, well, that would give away a lot of the stories behind them, and you don't want that now, do you?

In the meantime, I think I was able to detour a writer from falling into the trap of another scam agency. This place contacted her saying they would represent her and sign a contract with her if she paid 85 dollars to have it professionally edited by this other company. I advised her against it and loaded her up with information and where she could get more. I am thinking I should probably contact Writer Beware maintainer Victoria Strauss and let her know. The writer didn't take them up on their offer (thank goodness) and disaster was averted.

It saddens me to think that there are still scam companies out there trying to prey on us writers. Damn them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jude said...

That's a tight deadline. Do you have a day job? Good luck with it. I write for kids too, by the way.

11:48 AM  
Blogger DanStrohschein said...

Yup - I am a software engineer and systems analyst for Mitsubishi. Writing the initial drafts is not difficult for me - on a good night I crack out about 4,000-5,000 words, on a bad night, 2,000 words. I have far more good nights than bad. I usually write every day of the week. In a good month (meaning I don't have a lot of things taking my time) I can finish a standard 100k novel.

It's the revising process that takes so long for me.

It's awesome to meet another YA author! This is a totally new genre for me (as I have written mainstream horror most of my life) and I am having a lot of fun.

Thanks for your post and readership!

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home